I include channa in my recipe a lot. Since its high in protein I make it very often. Either I make channa sundal, amritsari channa or some channa samosa chaat. I also make channa poori for my kid and she loves it. Will load the recipe soon. I make this with famous main dish bhatura or some times with poori or chapathi. Its very easy to make and its always guest pleasing. Now off to recipe.
- Chick peas /Channa /Konda Kadalai - 1 cup
- Onion, finely chopped - 2
- Tomatoes,finely chopped - 3
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 1/2 tsp
- Green Chillies,long slit - 5-6
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Chilly Powder - 1 tsp
- Dhania or Coriander Powder - 2 tsp
- Amchur Powder(dry mango powder) - 1/2 tsp or more
- Saltto taste
- Coriander leaves,finely chopped - 1/2 cup
- Jeera - 1 tsp
- Cinnamon stick - little piece
- Cloves - 2
- Bay leaf - 2-3
1. Soak channa or kondal kadalai over night and boil it 3/4 th in cooker adding 1 cup water. To this add cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf and boil it well. When the channa is cooked,remove the channa and store the water separately(dont throw the water,use it for gravy)
2. Now in a kadai or pan add oil and to this add jeera and then saute it for some time. To this add ginger garlic paste and saute well again. Then add onion and saute it too.
3. To this add tomatoes and let it become soft and mushy. Then add the dry ingredients like turmeric powder, chilly powder, dhania powder and amchur powder. Sprinkle add and let it cook for few mins. To this add the saved channa water and let it cook for 5 more mins.
4. Now take one handful of channa and keep it separate. Add the rest to channa gravy and stir it well. Add the handful channa in a blender and blend it for a 2 pulse and add it to the gravy too.(Mom says it brings out very good flavor and thickens the gravy) Now sprinkle finely chopped coriander leaves and when the oil bubbles up at the top switch it off and serve it with bhatura.
5. Now while serving this keep chopped onion and slit green chillies on side and serve it.