Tomato Mint chutney recipe, Tomato chutney recipe, Tomato mint chutney for Idli dosa
Tomato mint chutney is everyone’s fav spicy chutney at home. Goes so well with Idli, dosa, rava Idli and also oats Idly and uthappam. As all know south Indians love making dosa or Idly pretty much 3-4 times in a week for their breakfast or dinner. Me on the other side mostly like doing dosa or Idly because of the chutneys. I love tomato mint chutney the best. I make so many variations in chutney and you def need to check it out in my chutney section.
Adding mint leaves to any of your food brings a very good flavor to the food. I love mint a lot. Mint has so many good benefits and check this link for knowing more about mint leaves benefits. It’s good for digestion and good to drink them with lemon juice if you have travel sickness. Having mint leaves regularly reduces stomach pain related issues and helps you from giddiness and keeps you energetic. I always get a large batch of tomatoes when I go to grocery store because cooking with tomatoes have unlimited options. This tomato mint chutney is a must chutney once in week. Tomato mint chutney is our guest fav chutney too. Even kids will love this tomato mint chutney.
Check out my other varieties of tomato based chutneys like Tomato Thokku, Tomato Chutney , Paniyaram Chutney(Kara Chutney) and enjoy it with dosa, Idly or Chapathi. Now if you love lots of flavor in your chutney then this one must be your first choice. My mom used to call this chettinad chutney since she tried in first time in some chettiar house function and since then she has been making it at home and it has always not only been our family fav but guests also love it. I always make it in big batch since this chutney vanishes off so quickly. Its stays good even for next day and I sometimes send this chutney for lunch box to my husband and kids since they love it a lot. If your tomatoes are not that ripe try adding tamarind little bit to the mix. Alright now off to making tomato mint chutney recipe.
step by step of making tomato mint chutney
- Ripe Tomato - 4-5
- Onion - 1
- Ginger piece - 1/2 inch
- Garlic Cloves - 5-6
- Green Chillies - 6
- Dry Red Chillies - 3-4(if you like it spicy)
- Mint leaves - half bunch or more as per your liking
- Channa dal - 2 tsp
- Urad Dal - 1 tsp
- Jeera - 1 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- For Seasoning:
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - few
- Hing or Asofoetida - 1/4 tsp
Off to making Tomato Mint Chutney...
1. Once the kadai is hot, add 2 tsp of oil. To this add urad dal, channa dal, jeera, onion, green chillies, red chillies, ginger, garlic one by one and saute them well.
2. Now add tomatoes and let it get mushy . To this add big bunch of mint leaves and saute for few mins and switch off the flame. Now add salt and let it cool.
3. Now blend them little coarse not very smooth. Add little water if required. Transfer it to a bowl.
4. Now do the garnishing mentioned above and add it to the bowl. This tomato mint chutney taste so good with hot Idly or dosa.