Vazhakkai Podimas- raw banana Podimas is a very healthy side dish that goes well with sambar,rasam,moor kulambhu(buttermilk). I personally love to make it with sambar and rasam. Vazhakkai Podimas is usually steamed and grated using carrot grater . There are so many variations when it comes to make raw banana Podimas or Vazhakkai podimas.
My house loves any recipe with vazhakkai and I like vazhakkai fry much better, but recently I have started liking this vazhakkai Podimas a lot. I changed little bit with adding fresh grated coconut. Since then I have loved it a lot. Amma always made me eat all kinds of veggies but I never listened to her. I use to just enjoy brinjal,potato, carrot and all kinds of green leafy vegetables . But thanks to hubby , I have started developing taste for all other vegetables too. Well it’s not like I fell in love , but since he loves vegetable and I had to make so many variety..I started to eat and appreciate the flavor.
Like dad always said I always use to nod my head saying “NO” without even tasting it. So with my kids I make sure that they try new veggies and if they still didn’t like it, I would suggest them ” Its k for now but let’s try it again next week” . So that’s how I make my girl eat her veggie. She also like this curry very much . She likes it with sambar and likes it crispy than usual. So I always made vazhakkai Podimas little crispier just for her. Well I used to make it for everyone and then take few spoons of vazhakkai Podimas and let it sit in pan for some more time till it attained the crispy stage.
I don’t add grated coconut for my daughter since she likes it with less flavor. You should always let the kids win first and then slowly bring them to your standard of liking. Now off to Raw banana podimas or Vazhakkai podimas.
- vazhakkai/Raw banana Plantain - 2-3
- Onion,finelly chopped - 1
- Ginger,finely chopped - 3 tsp
- Garlic,finely chopped - 4 tsp
- Green Chillies,finelly chopped - 3-4
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- For Seasoning:
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - as per taste
- Jeera - 1 tsp
1. Take vazhlakkai or raw banana and chop them to pieces s shown in pic. I have peeled the skin by mistake. No need to remove the skin. Just cut them in bog chunk as shown in pic and keep it separate.
2. Now steam them for 3 mins. I used Idly maker to steam my raw banana/Valakkai. Remove them with in 3 mins. If you over steam it , then it won't taste good and will become very sticky while grating the veggie.
3. Grate them nicely using a grater. Now keep pan in stove, Add oil and do the seasoning mentioned above. To this add onion,ginger,garlic then green chillies one by one. To this add grated vazhakkai and stir it for 2 mins.
4. To this add turmeric powder and salt. Stir it well. I stir for 5 mins so it gets little crunchy. If you like adding grated coconut add them. Vazhakkai podimas is ready to serve. I love this with sambar,rasam or moor kulambhu.