I have been a great fan of this particular channa masala for quite a long time. I remember tasting this delicious masala in a party. The guy who made this was a punjabi chef and I instantly loved that dark look. I have always made brown color and was very eager to know why it was black and what he must have added. I met him and gave compliment for his food and inquired him why it was black he said its AMRITSARI STYLE Chole and they add tea leaves to it. I was shocked and amazed at the same time. Some how nicely I asked him for the recipe and he was happy to share it with me. Then came out and made it immediately. This goes so well with bhatura and poori.(Will load the bhatura recipe very soon)I also took notes from Dassana(My new fav fellow blogger) from vegrecipesofindia she and chef def had the same taste and measurement...Wonder if they were cousins or its a family recipe hmm......
- Chick peas/Kabul Channa /Konda kadalai - 2 cup
- Tea bag - 2
- Ginger, chopped long - 3-4 tsp
- Cinnamon Sticks/Patta - 1 inch
- Cloves/Krambu - 3
- Cardamom(Elachi) - 2
- Green Chillies,long slit - 5
- Ginger-garlic paste - 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 stp
- Red Chilly Powder - 1 tsp
- Jeera powder - 2 tsp
- Dhania powder/coriander powder - 2 tsp
- Garam Masala - 1 tsp
- Amchur powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves,finely chopped - 1/4 cup
- Onion,finelly chopped - 1 cup
- Tomatoes - 2
- Cumin seeds/Jeera - 1 tsp
- Oil - 3 tsp
1. Soak 2 cups of Channa in a bowl overnight and wash it well in the morning. To this add 1 and half cup of water. Then add cinnamon sticks,cloves,bay leaf,cardamom,tea packet(don't be shocked they always use tea bag in Amritsar chole and gives an excellent color to the Channa,make sure u use tea bag if you put in tsp the chole will get messy later) and ginger-garlic paste. Add little salt too and let it cook for 7-8 min in a cooker.
2. Now make sure you filter the water separate and keep it safe.
3. In a pan add oil then add jeera,onion, ginger pieces(chopped julienne)tomatoes and saute till they become soft. Now add the cooked water to this and add the spice powder mentioned above like red chilly powder,turmeric powder,jeera powder,garam masala,dhania powder and salt.
4. Now to this add channa/konda kadalai and add salt and let it cook for few more mins till the water thickens. To this finely garnish coriander leaves and serve it hot with bhatura or poori.
5. While serving this always keep chopped onions and lemon wedges on side. After tasting this delicious channa you will never go back to the regular channa.