I like this vendakkai mandi , not a typical puli kulambhu but its very simple to make and I like its simple flavor a lot. Paruppu Urundai and this Vendakkai Mandi is very famous in Chettinad cooking. It gets the name mandi because tamarind is soaked in washed rice water. This can be mixed with curd rice, sambar or any main dish. You can see this in marriage food. I actually like it as main kulambhu too. I like to mix it with white rice and eat. This is from Malika Bhadrinath Kuzhambhu variety book but I excluded the coconut milk part, because I don't think they add coconut milk in it. I like this flavor better. This goes to my Cookbook Challenge section.
- Prep Time : 10 minutes
- Cook Time : 20 minutes
- Yield : 2-4
- Vendakkai / Ladysfinger / Okra - 1 1/2 cup
- Small Onion - 1 cup
- Garlic,long chop - 8
- Tomato - 1
- Tamarind( small size) - lemon size(soak in rice washed water)
- Hing - a pinch
- Salt to taste
- For Tempering:
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seed - 1/4 tsp
- Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
- Jeera - 1 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves - as per requirement
- Dry red Chillies - 5
- Green Chillies,long slit - 5
1. In a pan add oil, to this do the seasoning mentioned above. Then saute garlic,onion for some time. Then to this add vendakkai/ladys finger for few mins.
2. Now take tamarind piece and soak it rice washed water, that means wash the rice and add this water to tamarind piece. This is called mandi in chettinad side.
3. Then add tomato and let it cook for 2 mins. When the ladys finger is half cooked add the tamarind pulp. Let it cook till the raw smell from tamarind is gone .It needs 10 mins.
4. Now serve this with white rice or with curd rice or main kulambhu. Tasty vendakkai mandi is ready.