This dal has been everyone's favorite for quite some time. My mom was not well for few years so we had a North Indian cook who used to make dinner for us. All of us at my place were a great fan of Northie food so we thoroughly enjoyed his cooking. I have few of his recipes written in my diary, I just love them all. He really had a knack for making chapathi super soft and all his panner cooking were just awesome. He loved using oil/ghee liberally we were okay with it occasionally. This dal main ingredient is ghee don't try to substitute with oil it wont have the same taste, so just try it with ghee. This dal combos well with Palak puri/Spinach puri. It's like a pair made in heaven hahahha. Well now back to the recipe....
- Prep Time : 5 minutes
- Cook Time : 15-20 minutes
- Yield : 4
- Moong dal/Paasiparupu - 1/2 cup
- Ghee - 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds/Jeera - 1 tsp
- Onion,finely chopped - 1/2 cup
- Green chillies,long slit - 2
- Curry leaves - as per taste
- Asofaetida(hing) - a pinch
- Ginger,finely chopped - 2-3 tso
- Tomatoes,finely chopped - 1
- Methi leaves/Vendhaiya Keerai,finely chopped - 1/2 bunch
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
1. Take half cup of moong dal and boil them for 5 mins in a pressure cooker. Mushy them well.
2. Now in kadai/pan do the seasoning mentioned above add ghee to the pan, then add jeera,curry leaves,hing,onion,ginger,green chillies,tomatoes one by one and saute them well.
3. To this add the cooked dal and let it boil for 5 mins by pouring 1/2 cup of water.
4. Now wash and finely chop the methi leaves and sprinkle some salt. This helps in absorbing the bitterness in fenugreek leaves.
5. Now add it to the dal and let it cook for few mins,to this add turmeric pow and salt. Let it sit for another 2 mins and remove from fire. In a separate pan add little oil and add 1/2 tsp of chilly powder and pour it immediately on the dal and mix them well.
6. Serve this dal with plain rice,jeera rice or with palak puri/spinach puri.