I love rasam its a must in my family. I easily get bored with the regular rasam so I always try to spice it up with new variety.I learned this Orange Rasam long back from a cookbook from Aval Vigaten that published 30 Variety Rasam, and have saved the book till now. I love the variation in them. I have Pineapple rasam, Kollu rasam, Paruppu rasam, Udupi rasam, Lemon rasam and lots more. Please check them and try it at home.Most of them I learned from mom and few from experiments but they all come out excellent. You will love it for sure. Now off to this rasam.
- Prep Time : 15 minutes
- Cook Time : 15 minutes
- Yield : 4
- Toor dal - 5 tsp
- Tomato,chopped fine - 3
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Asofoetida(hing) - a pinch
- Orange Juice,freshly pulped - 1/2 cup
- Coriander leaves,finely chopped - 1/4 cup
- Orange Zest - little bit(for flavor)
- Salt to taste
- To powder:Rasam powder
- Jeera/ Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Pepper - 1 tsp
- Dry red chillies - 4-5
- Toor dal - 1/2 tsp
- Ghee - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Jeera - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - as per requirement
1. In a cooker boil 4-5 tsp of dal in 1 1/2 cups of water. When its done add chopped tomatoes,hing,turmeric powder and mix it well.
2. Now in a pan add ghee and do the seasoning mentioned above, then to this add the dal mix and let it bubble up.
3. Now squeeze the juice out of 3-4 orange and store it separate.
4. Now in a blender add the mentioned ingredient under rasam powder and grind them smooth or coarse. Then add to the mix. Let it boil for few mins. To this finally add fresh orange juice and stir it well. Add salt and garnish with coriander leaves and switch it off.
5. I served it with cauliflower pakoda/cauliflower fry. Love this rasam so much. Enjoy the sweet,tangy rasam with hot white rice.