There is so many variety of kuzhambu in south Indian dish and lots involve with dal and other spices. My husband loves lentils in his food especially if its channa(kondai kadalai) or motchai(limo beans)involved. This is very simple to make and goes well with rice ,dosa and Idiyappam. My mom likes it with chapathi too but I would prefer it better with rice flour based dish like dosa, Idiyappam or rice.
Coconut milk gives a very good flavor to this dish and kids will like it too. Its more like a blend of sodhi and vella kari kuzhambu(will load soon) we make. But this taste mild and no strong spice like patta or lavangam added. I like mild flavored dish for ice so everyone can fall in love with it. Do try and let me know how you liked it.
- Prep Time : 10 minutes
- Cook Time : 20 minutes
- Yield : 4 person
- Channa /kondaKadalai /Chickpeas - 1 cup
- Drumstick pieces - 8
- Brinjal,long slice - 4 piece
- Coconut milk - 1 cup
- Coriander / Dhania Powder - 2 tsp
- Chilly Powder - 3 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- For Seasoning:
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Jeera - 1 tsp
- Small Onion - 10
- Garlic - 10
- Curry leaves - as per requirement
- For Masala:(To grind)
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Small onion - 10
- Garlic - 5
- Tomato - 4
- Coconut ,grated - 1/4 cup
1. Soak chickpeas/ kondai kadalai over night and boil them for 10 mins in a cooker and keep it separate.
2. Now in a hot kadai/ pan add oil and fry small onion,tomato,garlic one by one and collect in a plate. To this dry fry grated coconut and keep everything separate in a cup.
3. In blender make a masala of this by adding chilly powder,dhania powder and salt. Add little water if required.
4. In a pan add oil once hot saute jeera then fry the remaining small onion,garlic,curry leaves and add the masala and saute for 5 mins. Now add turmeric powder and check for salt.
5. To this add kondai kadali/chickpeas and add 2 glass of water and let it boil for 10 mins. When done switch it off. Finally add coconut milk and mix everything well.(if you add coconut milk and let it boil it may curdle so always switch off the curry and add coconut milk,the heat in curry itself will let the coconut milk blend)
6. Now serve it with hot white rice or Idiyappam. The kuzhambu taste so good and very mild,kids will love for sure.