Andhra Pulihora is loved and enjoyed by everyone at my house . I can always say that this is my fav rice variety. I can go on eating this from morning till night. I am that much hooked to it. Its so tasty and very tempting food. I try making this at least once in 2 weeks. We make this especially on ugadhi festival. We offer this to good. Its very simple to make and needs no big work. Too simple even a 10 yr old can make it in no time....off to my yummy dish.
- Prep Time : 10 minutes
- Cook Time : 20-30 minutes
- Yield : 4
- Tamarind ,soaked in hot water - 1/4 cup or more
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- For Seasoning:
- Oil(Seasame) - 2-3 tsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Urad Dal - 1/2 tsp
- Channa Dal - 1 tsp
- Dry Red Chillies - 6
- Green Chillies,long slit - 4
- Fenugreek Seed/ Vendhayam - 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves - as per requirement
- Jeera - 1 tsp
- Peanut /Groundnut/ Verkadalai - 3-4 tsp
- Hing(Asofoetida) - 1/4 tsp
1. In a pan add oil saute the seasoning mentioned above.Add one by one like mustard,urad,fenugreek,channa dal,dry red chillies,curry leaves,jeera and then peanuts. Fry them well.
2. Now add tamarind pulp paste. Add 1/2 glass water or more according to the consistency required. Let it boil for few mins. To this add hing,turmeric powder and salt. Let it boil for 10 more mins until it thickens and oil oozes out at center.
3. Now switch off from flame and collect it in a bowl.
4. Cook rice and pour little oil on it to get separate rice grains. Let the rice cool down to this add tamarind paste and mix them well. All rice should be well coated with tamarind paste. Yummy tasty rice is ready to serve.
5. Love this with any curry or with just plain potato chips. yummmm....